10 weeks ago the movers arrived!
We spent most of the previous weekend doing our best to prepare for the movers, though by Sunday we still had so much to get done. The time crunch was worsened because I took a pretty good spill. I was about to check the ingredients to see if I had enough to make a couple of snacks for the road.
As I walked into the Kitchen from the pantry I slipped on a Rubbermaid container lid. R heard, sherk, boom, bump, bang, thump, OOOUUCHHHH!!!! I landed right on my bum! I wonder if I slightly cracked my tailbone. I could hardly move for the next week carrying Boss Man really hurt, and stairs especially hurt. 10 weeks later I still have some pain and I can't always sit like I want to.
I had exactly 2 hours of sleep before the movers showed up. Thankfully R. Was done with work by the time they arrived because he let me sleep right up to the moment they were walking through the door.
They did pretty well packing up everything. I did my best to communicate with them, but stay out of their way at the same time. I did NOT Like they way they did their inventory. They waited until after everything was packed to completely inventory. And they didn't use any of my original boxes for my small kitchen appliances, which I'm still not thrilled about. As long as my cedar chest, which I told them twice to wrap extra, arrives in one piece I'll be happy.
We spent the rest of the week cleaning from top to bottom. I mean we used a magic eraser on any mark we saw and wiped down walls. We cleaned behind all the major appliances vacuumed each bedroom no less than 3 times as well as rug doctored the carpets and moped at least twice. We cleaned every light fixture and every window. We weren't going to give housing ANY reason to say the house was not “move in ready”.
Housing pulls up the carpet at checkout to check the pad for stains! And they charge an exuberant amount for having trash at the curb or in the big garbage can. ... Even on trash day. ...
I had a whopping 30 minutes of sleep before housing arrived to complete our final checkout. I HAD to get some rest but there was still much packing to be done; so I was up shortly after R Left for work. Because I only had 2 hours, I began shoving things into bags ( this is relevant later) and pulled everything onto the porch just to have the house empty!
When housing showed up on Friday for our final walk through, I. was. Ready. That is other than the huge knot I had in my stomach. Housing has literally given me nightmares. I had my camera in hand and all of my documentation on stand by. I was prepared for the fight to ensue!!!
The first thing the lady asked was if I was ready for checkout. Because I had the pack-n-play up and a couple of other things still in the house. Then there was a huge pile of stuff on the carport. I told her yes then she asked if my husband was there because he "Was supposed to be there for the final check out". I politely told her no explaining he was detaching and I didn't know when he would be done. I also told her housing didn't tell him he had to be there. ( In fact, when he set up the appointment he specifically asked if he had to be there and was told no.). ...Miffed at my response she asked me if I had power of attorney. I simply replied "I'm his wife"! ... She wouldn't speak to me about anything because I did not have the Power of Attorney papers in hand.
With my camera in hand, I began taking pictures of the house. Especially the in the bedrooms where they were quick to pull the carpet up. I don't know if it is their standard practice to take pictures at checkout, but it was as if she saw me taking pictures and thought I should do that too. She whipped out her phone and snapped a picture of each bedroom.
When she left she forgot some paperwork. I took a picture of every single page before she realize she left it. (Again preparing myself for a fight once R Arrived.) I'm happy to report, surprisingly, there was NO fight to be had! The only 'extra' charge was an expected one!
Once Reed got home, we began the process of packing up the car. I am still amazed it all fit! I have to take a minute to brag on my husband because he did a fantastic job of packing that car!
No comments:
Post a Comment