I've
never lived or really visited a city that is built up rather than out. Cities
in Oklahoma and Texas expand out because they have the land space. It was
interesting driving in to see the depth of buildings and roads mixed with train
rails.
I found
some of the building architecture interesting as well as some of the building
placement. For instance, one building I saw was long and somewhat slender for a
building (not very wide) It seemed like it was right next to the highway and
there were other buildings around it. This building (I'll say it was an
apartment building) the “top” level was stair stepped with the height of the
building being toward the center. But the “stair step wasn't symmetrical.
There
was one area that looked like it was a newer developed area. It had a flight or
two of stairs then a landing with shops or businesses then more stairs and a
landing with more shops/ businesses. I counted 5 levels and I could see the
steps going up and down. I really do wonder how many landings there actually
are!
Traffic
was heavy. R. got tickled at the driver because he was getting frustrated with
the traffic. … BIG sighs and muttering to himself. …. R just thought it doesn't
matter what language, country, or culture some things such as heavy traffic and the human reaction
to them are the same!!!
Driving
on the other side of the road is interesting! If I drive in Japan the first
times I drive I will have to constantly remind myself to stay on the left side,
right turns here are our left turns. I'm
sure before long It will be second nature, like driving a manual car!
Once we
finally got to the Lodge, and got our stuff unloaded from the bus, R. went inside to check in and I stayed with the luggage and kid. A lady with kids saw me standing
there and sent her oldest daughter to get a cart for me. As I was trying to
load luggage onto the cart (all 7 pieces of luggage weighing 70ish pounds)
while also keeping an eye on Boss Man. A
man saw me, set his bag down and began helping me load the cart! R. came out and
the man continued to help! He even helped me roll the cart, that didn't want to
roll, into the lobby. In the process of going up the ramp through the main
doors I managed to knock over two bikes. I stood those back up then
proceeded inside with the cart.
Reed was
already at the elevator with the first cart (the less full of the two). I
waited for the elevator to come back down. When it opened, I pulled the cart
into the elevator (while holding the kiddo). The way the luggage was placed on
the cart, it got stuck in the doors. One of the housekeeping ladies helped me
push and shove the cart into the elevator. I set Boss Man down and pulled with
one hand while shoving luggage with the other. I finally made it into the
elevator. On the way up to our floor I tried to shift the problem bag around as
much as possible. When the door opened I
was half way expecting to see R. there to help me with the cart. …. NOPE! As I
proceeded to push the cart out of the elevator Boss Man ended up getting his
hand pinched between the doors and the cart. I managed to make it out of the
elevator with cart and kid (crying) with much more ease than going into said
elevator. I went to turn the cart down
our hallway and almost tipped the cart over... twice! A man saw me and helped get the cart turned
in the right direction.
I
finally made it to our room as R. was unloading the last of the first cart. He
looked at me and said here take the empty one back down. I stared at him for a moment (thinking you
have NO idea what I JUST went through getting up here), handed him the kid, and
made my way back down the hall with the empty cart in hand. I had to make 2
trips because the elevator wouldn't hold both of them at once.
I am so
thankful to have a bed to sleep in and generally a place to stay even though it
isn't exactly ideal. It is nice having the maid service but they get a bit
uptight if you leave to do not disturb sign up longer than their liking. They
will slip a note under your door stating as much.
We were
so exhausted but we did our best to get settle in our room and stay awake for
as long as possible before crashing. I don't even remember what we did for
dinner that evening. The next morning we did sleep in. R. had to check in and I
needed to find the Commissary. We ventured out to the bus stop with a bus route
map in hand. R. hopped off the bus before we did. I kept eyeing my map in
attempts to figure out when to get off. I felt a little intimidated by it. The
only “public transportation” I've really ever taken was the school bus. (Well
there are a few taxi stories while visiting Mexico in High school but that's a
whole other story) I managed to make my
way through the Commissary and get back on the bus to the Lodge with no
problem!
We had
so many errands to run and briefs to attend it seemed a bit overwhelming! We
had to attend 2 separate briefs for housing (They say with in the first 2
business days of arrival and we are both supposed to attend). The first one
went fine and one could hardly say it was a brief. (more like sit here and fill out this paperwork) The second one I met R. at
housing. Upon checking in with the receptionist she informed us kids were not
allowed in this brief. … IF we would have been in the states, I would have said
something. (tactfully, but I would have said something.) BUT, we are not in the
states. And the receptionist was a Japanese National not American. I simply
looked at R. and said well, I guess you are on your own. Why place such a deadline on people then say
children aren't welcome and not provide child care?
No comments:
Post a Comment