Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Feat of Booking a Dr.’s Appointment

I woke up this morning feeling like I had a bit of energy! I thought great! I can get the floors swept and mopped and get our shower cleaned.  I even thought about going for a walk as well.

By the time I had my face washed and had ‘breakfast’ eaten I could feel some of that energy draining.

I’m still planning on getting the items listed above done today it just may take me a while to do them.

I FINALLY got an appointment with my NP for tomorrow. I only had to call 3 or 4 times, talked to 3 people, and left one message.

One of the ladies I talked to said the earliest appointment she could give me was in October!  There was this appointment for Wednesday of this week, but she couldn’t book it for me! WHAT?

I asked if I could get in with another person on my ‘team’. She said ‘No, as long as my person has appointments I have to see her.’ So, my person doesn’t have an appointment open for 2 weeks and I can’t get in to see anyone else? (That’s when the person mentioned the Wednesday appointment.)

By the time I got off the phone I was in tears! I just felt so helpless. I don’t know what’s going and the medical professionals here don’t seem to have a vested interest in my health!

About 3 minutes after that phone conversation someone from the nurse’s desk called me back.  I pretty much went through my whole spill again. I’m sure she could tell I was upset.  … She booked the Wednesday appointment for me.

While I was on the phone with her, she said ‘OK, you thought you had strep but now you think it’s mono???’ I almost told her ‘I don’t know what the deal is. I KNOW it’s not strep because the culture and rapid were negative. That’s why I’m trying to talk with you people. you’re the medical professionals not me!’ ‘But, there can’t be too many things out there that cause tonsils to swell up and white spots to appear all over them.’

I can’t just choose another Dr. if I don’t like mine. For the moment I’m stuck with the NP I have. If things don’t improve quickly, I will be walking into the insurance office asking for a new PCM. 

I was telling my dad about all of this last night and he  said ‘Well if there’s one thing they understand it’s directness.’ and applauded me for being so direct and persistent.

I’ll let you know how the appointment turns out tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. You're the advocate for you health. You need to fight for what you want and if no one listens keep calling and telling them. You might be known as the b*tchy patient but at least you'll be getting answers sooner than later! Hope you're getting your answers today!

    ReplyDelete