Friday, March 23, 2012

This Past Weekend

I was kind of bummed this past weekend. We had several outdoor plans that seemed to have obstacles in the way. Friday night we were to go up to the observatory where they have several telescopes. … It rained all evening and most of the night. Instead, we ran a few errands.

Saturday we went to a city block party for St. Patty’s day. It was about 2 blocks long. We were only there for about 30 min-an hour before we left.

On our way home I dropped off R at a friend’s house. Then I went to track down some materials to teach my Sunday morning class. … (Bible isn’t my strong suit.  It was only my third week to teach and each week I feel like I’ve really struggled to get my lesson together.)

After I ran to a few stores, I met up with R. at the friend’s house. This place isn’t my favorite to go to. (I mainly go because R asks me to go.)

I was surprised to find that there was actually another chick there. (Other than the wife’s house we were at, I must say I was a little surprised when I didn’t see her sitting on the couch playing a video game or watching anima)

 

In most of my situations in my life of the people around, I’ve been the youngest, …church, work. … Here I’m one of the oldest. It’s a new role for me. There are so many girls around base who are 19-22 who have a kid or are pregnant.  I just keep thinking they are so young. Probably because I’m 29 didn’t marry till I was 25 and can’t imagine having a kid.

So, one of the said chicks is pregnant and the other is rather baby crazy. Both of them just seemed like it was all rainbows and butterflies. I kept thinking do you realize the responsibility of a baby?

Do they realize that parenting is hard work, that there will be MANY sleepless nights, that breast feeding isn’t always easy etc.?

Being a bit older than they are, I tried to give them advise about all of this but, it’s hard when you your self don’t have kids yet. I tried to go about this with a teacher, friendly perspective. (I’ve read/ heard/ my neighbors say etc.)

Maybe at least not yet pregnant chick heard some of what I had to say. …

No comments:

Post a Comment