Thursday, March 29, 2012

Church and College Days

Sunday we woke up SO late for church, which made us WAY late. It just so happened there was a ladies’ retreat in Savannah. There were about 85 women from our congregation who went leaving all the daddies to get the kiddos up and ready. … Most were either WAY late or didn’t show up. If there was a day it was not terrible for us to be late it was this past Sunday.

During Service a couple weeks ago it seemed most of the songs sung were among those we sang in with the Outreach Center Back in the good ol’ college days. …

I feel like there is this unwritten rule of the ‘Church’  I attend that your supposed to stand like a statue and never smile while singing.

I sort of disagree with this line of thinking. Here’s the thing, If you can’t be happy at church, especially while praising God, Then where can you truly be happy?

When there’s an up beat song being sung I’ll move a little bit and SMILE!  If we’re standing up, I’ll kinda bounce to the beat in my place or nod my head to the beat. 

It seemed this particular song service caused me to thing back to my college days. … I’ll get to that thought in a minute.

The final song we sang was Firm Foundation. As soon as the song leader started the song R and I looked at each other and grinned knowing we were both thinking the same thing!

When church was over a lady behind us stopped us and told us how cute she though we were because we hold hands and of the way we were singing.  (We hold hands during prayers.) 

 

So to my college days:

The first thing I think of when I reminisce of college is my church family. Sunday was Church. We had a Monday Bible Study, we were together to hang out on Tuesday night and possible had a study then too, Wednesday was Church, Thursday was Outreach and  enviably we’d get together over the weekend too. Then there’s Cullman, Our spring break mission trip.

I also think of A, my college roommate, (Oh, don’t you and I have a few stories!) I’d never been to a concert until I went with A. I think that year we went to 5! I also had some great times with my girl K!

I also think of RHA meetings and conferences. 

We, outreach crew, were together so much A. one day said “Teddie, Why don’t you just go to church everyday.” … I think my reply was ‘This week I am!’ 

You see, We loved being around each other. It’s been difficult for R and I to find another church home because We keep looking for what we had  in college. We’ve come to realize what we had was pretty darn awesome and quite possibly a once in a life time thing.

Most of us from that core group have dispersed across the country and world. I think of several of those people often, especially when singing ‘praise’ songs. There were a couple of special ladies who I prayer-partnered with; I REALLY miss them. 

The thing I miss the most was the accountability we all had. several of us decided to start checking on each other daily. ‘Have you read and prayed today?’ It was a great accountability because you didn’t want to be the one to say No I haven’t read my daily scripture reading and I haven’t taken time to pray. The accountability kept us in the scripture.

Another time the outreach crew was going through a series. I don’t remember the title of it but the basis was what can we do for you this week? We all HAD to say something we needed help with that week. One guy said simply said I’d love to have people come by to visit.

That particular evening, I had a paper due, a scholarship letter due, loads of other homework, my room was a wreck, and I know I had several other things going. (I still have a tendency to get overwhelmed quickly; I do much better with it today but then I’d really get stressed out)

As soon as we finished at the Outreach center I had 8-10 people at my apartment, my paper and scholarship letter got written, (I landed the scholarship too) my room was put together and what ever else I needed that night.  …I cried that night when everyone left because of the willingness to help and the out pouring of love that was displayed toward me. …  I’m tearing up thinking about it.

As I’m typing, I’m reminded of a Dr. Seuss quote.

“Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.”

I often get frustrated because I’d love to have a group like this again But, at the same time I’m very blessed to have ever been a part of such a group. 

Over the past couple of weeks/ years I’ve been learning to not cry about not having such a group since that time; Rather I should rejoice about ever being a part of such a group.

No comments:

Post a Comment