Friday, March 1, 2013

Baby Boy In For Observation

On Thursday morning, the lactation consultant came in to see how feedings were going. While she was helping us figure out the whole breastfeeding thing, she noticed he was struggling to breath while at the breast. After several minutes she called in the nurse to observe his breathing.

I had noticed his breathing was very labored, but it had been since he had been born hours earlier.

The nurse called the pediatrician who said to observe him in the nursery. R. and I went in to check on him. They had  him on oxygen and told us not to touch him. The pediatrician decided to admit him when he came in. They ran chest x-rays, and other blood work. hooked him up to more oxygen, and inserted an IV.

We planned to take some hospital pictures on Thursday which totally didn’t happen. We knew extended family and friends were dying to see pictures and the began hounding us for them. There wasn’t a whole lot we could do since he was in the nursery and we couldn’t really touch him. Besides, If it was at all possible I didn’t want loads of hospital pictures of my baby hooked up to wires, oxygen and IVs. 

Thursday evening R. and I went in to check on Baby Boy. His oxygen was up to 40%. The nurse seemed hopeful she would be able to lower it with in a couple of hours. As soon as R and I got back to my room we both began sobbing. I think the only other time I’d seen him cry that hard was when I miscarried back in 2010.

There was this poor baby in the nursery hooked up to monitors etc. He’s your child and you can’t touch him let alone try to help him. 

 

Friday Morning my doctor came in to discharge me, but Baby Boy was still admitted. My discharge paperwork didn’t get taken care of until late afternoon. They extended my room as a courtesy room fro the night since Baby Boy was still admitted.  I was free to leave the hospital for a while! It was so nice to go home for a couple of hours to see Miko and take a real shower. It was also nice to eat something other than hospital food.

Baby continued to improve on Friday and through the night on Saturday! Saturday Morning the pediatrician came in to say as long a a test result came back normal Baby could be released.  We got some of our stuff gathered up and went home for a little bit.  We didn’t stay home for more than a 2-3 hours. I wanted to be at the hospital the minute Baby Boy was released.

 

To Be Continued! … Hopefully I can get the next post up quicker than I did this one. I haven’t had much of a chance to write lately. When I have R. has been on the computer. I seriously started this post on Sunday.

1 comment:

  1. That's rediculous they wouldnt let you touch him! He's not a NICU baby!

    ReplyDelete