Saturday, April 2, 2011

April Fools……..NOT!!!

Well, we all know what April 1st typically means. A full day of pranks and joked on each other. Although, Since one particular mission trip a lot of pranks came on March 17th! But that’s a post for another time.

We didn’t play any jokes on one another today.

However, 5 years ago I Thought R. was going to pull a HUGE sick prank on me.  Thankfully he didn’t. I guess either way it would have made a story. 

On March 30, 2006 R. asked me to go out with him. He was already VERY nervous and I made him sweat even more because my plans changed a dozen times that week and it took me a minute to figure out what my plans were, or if I still had any.  I’m totally convinced those plans NOT working out was by God’s design!

R. Asked me out at outreach on Thursday night, kind of in front of several people. Talk about pressure!! We planned our date for the following Saturday and I gave him directions to my apartment.

Late on Friday night, I realized the next day was APRIL 1. Oh My! I was freaking out, so I called a couple of friends who reassured me everything would be fine and to get some sleep. What if this is some kind of April Fool’s joke?!? I finally got to sleep but, the next day I was still a bit on edge thinking this might be a sick joke and he would stand me up.

It kind of was a joke per say because we did very much surprise several friends. They didn’t see it coming. I remember Ashley saying Seriously?!? Your going out with R.? No, Really? Well, do you even like him? NO ONE saw us together, at that time anyway especially my closest friends. Another friend flat out told me she didn’t like him. Now they get along great!

Whew! R. DID come to pick me up! He gave me 2 dinner options afterwards we went to see a movie. Here’s where the fun times really kick in. We were in his 1971 Monte Carlo which had CRAPPY windshield wipers. This is important because it was poring so much that we could maybe see 2 feet in front of us.  Since it was raining SO hard R. let me get out at the door. I still got soaked by the time I made it inside and he was even wetter than I was! By the time we got out of the movie, thankfully weather had calmed down a bit.

R. still thinks the date blew up in his face and I still say it’s the best 1st date I’ve ever been on! Throughout the entire date, especially when we were both dripping wet from the rain, he kept thinking this is the worst date EVER! She’s NEVER going to want to go on another date with me again! And, Throughout out the entire date I kept thinking this is the BEST first date I’ve ever been on rain and all! 

I think R. felt bad when I finally told him I was afraid  it was going to be an April Fools joke. He said he didn’t even realize it was April 1st and had FINALLY got up the courage, after several months, to ask me out! He wasn’t going to make a joke of it by standing me up!

HA! I think our first date was a omen that we would experience a whole bunch of adventures together. Driving in that heavy rain with the crappy wipers was quite the adventure! To this day we can’t plan much of anything, especially little getaway trips, with out it raining.

Happy April Fools Day everyone! Hope you had a great day of not to many jokes!

No comments:

Post a Comment