
I've never participated in Top 2 Tuesday before. Though, I have a friend who keeps telling me I should. Today's topic is things you've learned from your parents or grandparents. Warning: this may be more than 2 things.
In March of 2009, I had only been married for 9 months; My Reed and I were planning a trip to Illinois to visit my grandmothers that summer. Gram had never met Reed. Sadly, we said goodbye to her on March 11. This isn't the best picture I have, but it's the one I have the quickest access to.
.jpg)
One of the toughest things I've ever had to do was tell her it was OK to go. What I really wanted to tell her that Wednesday evening was wait till I can get there. I was the last one to talk to her; to let her know I would be OK. (She had to hear it from everyone.) My Sister called to tell her right before I did.
Whew, Should have know I'd start with the tears. ...
Gram always had a knack for letting you know you really matter and are valued, like you are the only one in the world when you were with her. That is something I'm trying to work on; it may take a while to perfect. I especially want to instill in my children one day.
As a Family, we got through that. I think almost 2 years later we are still getting through it. As a family, you lean on each other and tell stories of memories and read letters of memories. (Most of the grandkids wrote letters of our memories of her. Mine's still in progress.)
8 months later, Grandma went into the hospital to repair a heart valve. That was a week and a half before Thanksgiving. She left us about a week and a half before Christmas. Whew! 2 grand parents in a span of 9 months. Talk about though. I missed the last 3 days of school that semester (Obviously.) I was a wreck the day we were heading to Illinois for her service. I remember I walked into the school building flustered and in tears. Somehow, I found (God gave me) the strength to teach that day.

She too is missed greatly. She taught me to welcome people into your home with open arms; to be hospitable.
My Daddy has taught me to look to God especially in time of trouble and worry but, also, in the good times.

No comments:
Post a Comment