I’m warning you: I’m about to step on my soap box…
R. and I have been looking for a puppy for several weeks, maybe a month now. It’s supposed to be my Christmas gift this year. I’ve wanted a puppy/ dog for the past 5 years, well, longer really. I/We’ve just not been able to get one due to finances, living situation, etc.
I guess in South Carolina there aren’t any ‘kill shelters’ around. Which is a great thing, animals aren’t being put down just because. … But, I’m finding myself getting frustrated with the shelters around here.
I get they are wanting to recoup some of their cost by asking for an adoption fee. But in my opinion, $200-$350 for an adoption fee is CRAZY! If I want to pay that kind of money, I’ll purchase a purebred puppy.
Every shelter around here has an application process, some even want to so home visits! OK, I understand you want your animals to go to good homes, but IT’s A DOG!!! A home visit really??? some shelters even want to do home visits however often to check up on the dog. AGAIN, It’s a dog! I’m not adopting a baby. I’m adopting a puppy!
I’ve been looking on Craig’s list too I understand charging a rehoming/ adoption fee… But really, charging an adoption fee doesn’t necessarily ‘ensure your animal goes to a good home’!
I got so frustrated the other day. I texted someone to inquire about their Craig’s List post for their dog. … This dog was 6months old, had not had her surgery, had not had ANY of her shots, and probably hadn’t had any of her worming done!!! Their rehoming fee was $300. … SERIOUSLY! you want $300 for a dog you’re not even taking care of!!!
I think the lady was highly offended when I told her the price I’d be willing to pay considering I’d have to take the dog to the vet immediately.
If you know me, you’d know I’d be a great puppy momma! I know there are vet expenses every year as well as worming and flea meds monthly and they need food etc. (Trust me, I’m one of THOSE people who considers their dog to be a member of their family.) I just think it’s crazy to spend several hundred dollars adopting a dog. … Both of my sisters have ‘adopted’ all of their dogs for FREE, through shelters or newspaper classifieds.
So to all the shelters out there who are charging crazy fees, I understand completely that you are a non profit, and that you are simply trying to recoup some of your cost in taking care of the animals, … However, you might just get these animals to good homes and ‘help more animals’ if you’d lower your adoption fees! Charging such a high amount excludes this ‘good forever home’ from adopting one of your dogs!!!…
Steps off soap box…
No comments:
Post a Comment