
I thought I’d link up today with Neely from a Complete Waste of Makeup and Amber from Brunch with Amber for day 2 of their blog challenge.
The topic today is Holiday traditions.
I remember several tradition my family had as a kid. Now that I think about it most of them occurred on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day!
Momma would take us girls to look at Christmas lights on Christmas eve, giving Daddy time to get toys put together!
We had an ornament set that we saved to put on the tree until Christmas Eve. On each of the 12 ornaments was the story of ‘The Night Before Christmas’ As Daddy would read the story, he’d hand the corresponding ornament to one of us girls and we’d place it on the tree.
We ALWAYS woke up on Christmas morning sometimes Christmas Eve to the smell of my Daddy’s fresh cinnamon rolls! He would make them, we’d have our share then we’d take the extra pans around to different people from church, or community.
We used to always have turkey too. Fried Turkey, with a jalapeno puree shot through out it! YUM-O!!
Since R. and I have been married we’ve been trying to mesh a couple of tradition creating our own. (Due to circumstances over the past couple of years meshing our traditions has been difficult.)
We typically trade off Thanksgiving and Christmas between his family and mine. So some of our traditions depend on who’s family we’re with that year. –His family opens gifts on Christmas Eve and gets together with everyone on Christmas day. My family does everything on Christmas day.
His mom bought them ornaments every year for their own Christmas trees. When we got married he had more ornaments than I did! We’ve tried to keep that tradition. I’m pretty pick about my ornaments for us, so I usually don’t find our ornament for the year until after Christmas. I try to find an ornament that sums up our year.
In 2008 I found a wedding cake for our 1st Christmas.
2009- I got Willow Tree’s ‘Remembrance because both of my Grandmothers passed away. (One about a week and a half before Christmas)
2010- I picked up Willow Tree’s ‘Love of Learning’ Angel because we both taught last year.
This year- I’m trying to find a Navy ornament.
Of my sisters and I, I’m the one who’s learned to make Daddy’s cinnamon rolls! So, I make them on years we don’t spend Christmas with my parents. -This year I plan to make them and give pans to the neighbors!
Several years ago He and I drove around to look at Christmas Lights.
I have NO IDEA how things will be this year. We haven’t had a tree/ decorations up since 2008. I think we’re both looking forward to it. I don’t even know what decorations I have.
Oh, I also have this little tradition of sitting down the weekend after Thanksgiving and wrapping all of the gifts I’ve bought to date, which is typically most of them. That one started in college with A. my college roommate!
What are some of your traditions? Link up!
No comments:
Post a Comment