Friday, October 26, 2012

Parenthood

 

File:Parenthood.png 

Do any of you watch Parenthood? I love this show and I was so excited when I saw it was back for another season. I’ve enjoyed previous seasons but this one is awesome.

'Parenthood' Review: From Funky Town to Heartbreak

I am not one to typically cry during shows or most movies but, I’m pretty sure I’ve cried during every episode this season. (I think partially because I’m pregnant (hormones) but partially because I can relate, to an extent, to Adam and Kristina’s situation right now.)

How can I relate?

Well, remember back in April and May when I had all of the Dr. visits with the mono/ spleen stuff. I wrote about it here. But I didn’t really go into a lot of detail.

When the on base medical professional told me they were referring me to the cancer center I was dumbfounded. I was quite worried and a bit scared, ok a lot scared. What did the test results and ultrasound of the spleen show that required a referral to the cancer center? (They didn’t really tell me why they were sending me.)

I was worried and scared as I’m sure most people are in that situation. Like Kristina I did my darndest to put up a strong front and not let R. see the emotions I was feeling. After all, he had classes to focus on.  Keeping my emotions in check with R. is difficult at times because he has this insane nack for reading me like an open book.

Of course telling R. about the appointment was tough especially while lacking background information. For the next week the appointment was a huge elephant in the room. I didn’t want to distract R. from his classes (though he was.)

On one hand you tell yourself everything will be ok then on the other hand you are thinking what if this is REALLY bad. At the time, I was barely pregnant on top of it. How is this going to effect the baby/pregnancy and treatment. 

I mentioned to a couple of friends I had a doctor’s appointment and R. mentioned to a couple of his class buddies and obviously his SLPO. But, we pretty much waited to say anything to our family about the the appointment.  For that matter, our family still doesn’t know about it.

I mean really what would I have told the family? I have an appointment with an oncologist/ hematologist and oh by the way I’m pregnant too. …

 

I could relate to Kristina during this week’s episode as she was going into surgery. I was so un easy right before my DNC back in 2010. I held up ok until R. had to head to the waiting room. Again I did my best not to cry as he hugged and kissed me. We both said I love you and he walked off. I started crying at that point.

I had to laugh at the line when Kristina mentioned how thirsty she was right before surgery. I was parched!! I drank at least a gallon of water right after surgery, I was THAT thirsty. I’m pretty sure it was more than that!

Then There’s Haddie’s take on things. … She’s away at college and her parents Skype her to tell her Kristina has cancer. Now she’s trying to focus on school while worrying about her mom.

It can be difficult to be away from family (I was anywhere from 12-15 hours away from my parents when I was in college. Now I’m 20 hours away.) I’m so used to being far away now that, that’s just how it is. There are times when being far away from family is quite difficult. When my sister called to tell me our Daddy was in the Hospital earlier this year It was tough to not be able to be there to help.

It was good that Haddie could be home to help her parents for a few days. The sense of relief on her face at the end of last night’s episode just got to me.

I’ve had a hard time the past year and a half with my parents and their ailments. They just aren’t as able as they once were. I’m not quite 30 yet; how do I go about taking care of my parents?

I get that that Adam and Kristina don’t want Hattie to worry and they want her to finish her freshman year of college, but they need to tell her the truth. I think she’s going to be angry when she finds out Kristina still needs chemo. I know I would be as well as hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment