My Brother, actually my brother-in-law and the strong one in the family, called to tell me what my daddy wanted me to do, and that Big Sister had just gotten off the phone with her. I immediately told him I didn't want to. We discussed it for a few minutes, then hung up. I called Daddy. There's been a few phone calls to my daddy I've not wanted to make. This one, in particular, I didn't want to make.
He answered and told me I was the last one to talk to her. Everyone else had said it's be OK. I knew I needed to do what was best. So, Daddy put the phone to her ear, and I told her in as strong of a voice as I could muster up that I would be OK, and I loved her very much. That's what I told her. I really wanted to tell her to hang on until I can see you. I can be in tomorrow night.
Daddy and I talked for a brief moment before we hung up. As soon as I hung up the phone, I collapsed to the floor crying and screaming. I remember Reed reaching to catch me as I dropped to the ground.
About 10 minutes later, my mom called to tell me Gram had left us. I was the last person the talk to her to tell her it was OK to go.
Us grand kids wrote letters about memories of Gram. The letters were read during her service. I just finished mine tonight and emailed it to the family. I thought I'd share it with you too.
A Few of My Memories of Gram
What can I say about Gram? Being one of the youngest grandchildren and not having the opportunity to be around her as much as the others, I probably don’t remember as much as everyone else.
But, here are some things I do remember. ...
I remember going into Gram’s house (The big brown one) and hearing Gram yelling from her chair “Take your shoes off!” As we would reach the top of the stairs, she wanted us to run to her so she could give us all great big hugs. Then she would say “Oh, I’m so glad to see you! Give me some sugars!” I always thought, “The first thing we hear is you yelling at us and now you want us to give you hugs and kisses?!?!” Today, I’d love to hear Gram say those words again.
I remember always admiring her crystal. I don’t know how many pieces she had, it seemed like tons. I also remember all of her baby dolls. I bet she had hundreds. I can still see some of my favorites in their places and with their tags. I’m thankful I have one of my favorite dolls! I have 4 of them, and every time I see them I think of Gram.
Ha! I remember one night during our stay at Gram’s, I decided I wanted to sleep in her bed with her. Why? Still not sure. That idea was completely busted half way through the night when she kept rolling over to my side of the bed. Once I was sleeping on the very edge with no covers, I decided to go down stairs with mom and dad. The next morning, she asked me where I went. I told her she pushed me out of bed. She replied “Oh no I didn’t!” in that voice with her little grin.
When I was in 4-5th grade, I had bangs that draped in front of one eye. Gram couldn’t stand it. “Get that hair out of your eyes!” she would say. “I can’t see your face!”
When I was in College, maybe even highschool, we quit telling her we were coming, When we walked through the door she would always say “Well, What are you doing here?” Then she would often repeat, “I’m so glad you’re here, I’m just so glad you’re here! I can’t believe you’re here!”
On another trip to see Gram, I remember asking her about Paw Paw. I was 4 when he died and have very few memories of him. I know Gram ALWAYS loved him and missed him just as much. You could see it in her eyes every time she talked about him.
Of course, I have my favorite stories we grew up telling, which Gram HATED us to bring up, and us grand kids loved to bring up. ... An incident on the side of the road, anyone?!
The last visit I had with Gram was so fun! She cracked Daddy and I up! We brought her the beloved fried chicken for lunch! We set it up outside under a pavilion and had a picnic! During the meal, she kept saying “I just can’t see you. I just can’t see anything.” Daddy asked if she would like some more potatoes. She said “Well yes! Put it right there, right there.”as she pointed to the exact spot she wanted it on her plate. Daddy and I just laughed. She couldn’t see a thing but, she sure could see her plate! HA!. “I just can’t see you.... Oh yeah I want more.... Put it right there, right there!” HA!
No comments:
Post a Comment