Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Eventful few days On the World Stage

Wow! How interesting the past few days have been on the world stage. It began last week with tornadoes running rampant through the south. It’s been so sad to see the destruction left behind. Those affected are very much in my thoughts and prayers. The following are pictures in a town I’ve done some mission work in.

The Royal Wedding was a great, happy affair in London! I wasn’t interested in it. I watched it, only because I was already up and thought “How often do you get to watch a real fairy tale wedding”? In my opinion, it was perfect!

The Royal Wedding Album

About an hour ago, I received a text from Sister which read “Osama Bin Laden is dead!” After reading it twice, I jumped up, read the text to R, and quickly turned on the TV. We saw headlines and went running into the other parts of the house. R. was saying Turn on the news! Turn on the News! I was saying Osama Bin Laden’s been killed! Osama Bin Laden’s been killed!  We then all went running to the living room to turn the channel.

My first thoughts were, Are they sure it’s him?  What next? What does this mean? When do our troops get to come home? I did have a little bit of relief after I thought about it for a minute. But, now I don’t know. I feel like we should be on alert for retaliation.  I realize that our troops still have a job to do and won’t be home for a while: that Bin Laden is only a piece of Al-Qaida.  Terrorism is still a huge threat in the world.

I’m not quite sure what to think! My heart was pounding so when I read the text. Of course, we ALL remember where we were when we heard about 9-11. I was walking across the campus of my alma mater on my way to class when my roommate saw me and told me planes had flown into the trade centers.

R. and I did not participate in the OKC Memorial Marathon this year, which was today, but we have in years past.  I do find it interesting that we in the OKC metro are remembering the bombing of the Federal Building downtown and the country/ world is thinking about 9-11 all on the same day.

R. and I were downtown last night. While down there, R. wanted to stop by and see the memorial. We’ve been there several times but have never seen it at night.

This is another event in which I remember where I was upon hearing about it. I had just come home from school and saw it on TV. I was in 6th grade. R. very clearly remembers the bombing. Being some miles away, in school, that morning he felt his school building shake. 

May God bless America; let freedom ring! May he wrap his arms of protection around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment