I think this is the third installment of our life in SC.
As I stated in my previous post this morning, you’d think I’d have this place all squared away after being here for 2 weeks and I was home all last week. But, that’s just NOT the case. Hopefully soon we can get the bedrooms taken care of.
I am however, no longer living out of suitcases!! I have clothes on hangers and in my dresser! That is VERY exciting! I’ve not had MY dresser for 9 months! I should have taken pictures of my suitcase this summer. I had everything separated into 2 gallon ziplock bags.
I’m getting off track though. I’ve mentioned a little bit about driving in this place. I’ve been lost more times than I can count! This past Friday I was lost in the pouring down rain! that endeavor should have taken about 30 minutes to find, so maybe an hour in all. 2 1/2 hours later I made it home!
The roads here DON’T make much sense. I’m used to having my roads in a grid system and everything running north/ south or east/ west very nicely. If you’ve ever ridden with me, you know how I like my ‘short cuts’. …. There are NO shortcuts here. in order to get ANYWHERE you have to go up and around or down and around.
I have no idea how many times I’ve taken a road and it’s looped me around to another road too. That was my issue Friday! everything just seems to loop around. there are 2 major highways here. they both run east/ west. but, they look as if they should run north/ south. there’s one US highway that loops around the area, but even then it doesn’t look like it’s a continuous loop!
A lot of turns and intersections are all caddy-wompus too! I don’t quite know that I can explain that in words but, I’ll try! You know how highways have ‘Texas turnabouts’? Well there are ‘Texas turnabouts’ in random places!
Everything is on the same end of town too! Well, minus the outlet mall. the regular mall, Walmart, Target, Lowes Home Depot restaurants …. EVERYTHING!
R. and I expected there to be more in the area. Shopping wise. The target is NOT a super Target! the closest Hobby Lobby is 80 miles away! There is Gap in the outlet but, the closest Gap is 20 miles away! We are learning that everything in the ‘large’ town next door is downtown… at least it’s all on the same street!
Being from the south, I had an idea of what to expect moving back to the south. … Or so I though! I expected to find this thing called ‘southern hospitality’ or friendliness! I’ve encountered so pretty rude people here! I also expected our neighbors to be more ‘community minded’ than they are. I’ve been hearing that people on base become you family. … NOT here! We rarely see any of our neighbors! … Maybe when we see fleet!
No comments:
Post a Comment