Thursday, August 11, 2011

South Carolina Here We Come!

July 29

Considering neither of us slept very well at his grandparent’s house, we had only been together again for one full day, and neither of us had coffee, Oh, and We’re MOVING I’d say things went pretty well. ….

While we were driving through Arkansas, I kept hearing a noise. For a while, I thought it was the radio. This noise would stop then start again, etc. We realized it was OUR car alarm! R. turned off the alarm for the duration of the trip!

Friday’s travels went pretty well.  My plan was to drive as far as we could on Friday. R’s not so much! We stopped for dinner and ultimately for the night in Mississippi.

We had been having issues with the car dolly. We were checking it every time we stopped. This particular stop I quickly noted that one of the straps was completely off of the car!

We decided to eat dinner and fix the car afterward. In order to remedy the issue, we had to undo the other strap, pull the car off the dolly and redo everything.  R let go of the car before I had my foot on the break and the car kind of fell off, messing up the front fender.

Saturday we started driving again. Travel wasn’t to bad. We made it through the rest of Mississippi, across Alabama and almost into South Carolina, stopping for the night in Georgia.

We did a pretty good job of staying on track We missed our exit in Memphis but that’s about it. (Well, as far as getting to Charleston is concerned.)

Saturday’s main issue was rain and construction. The combination wasn’t pretty! R. did a great job driving the rig. but, there were SO many times I was afraid he wasn’t going to stop when we were in traffic. (Some of that is probably due to my depth perception issues.) 

We made it to our new home on Sunday Morning! Finally! We got to base just fine. We pulled off the car and tow dolly, then made a run through of the house.  But, before we could unload the truck we had to go weigh it. … This task turned into a 3 hour ordeal!

This place has NO or tinny tiny road signs. Then, roads had different names than what the iPhone GPS was telling us. The place we were going to take the truck, which was on the list of places the Navy gave R, no longer exist! So we look up the next place. … Remember, the map and road signs weren’t matching up!…

We finally (after getting way, WAY off track) found this weight station. 

By this point we were both hungry, because we’ve really not eaten for the day.  I’m sure you can imagine the scene. … We’re beyond tire of traveling,tired of being in this truck, hungry, tired in general, in a completely new place, and have been turned around more times than I could count for the day!

By this point, I was a bit snippy! I’d been traveling since May, R and I have been trying to figure out how to be around each other again, and we’re lost in this new place, that has no road signs! The only thing I wanted to do was unload the damn truck!

After grabbing a quick bite of some not so good food,We made our way back to the house! FINALLY! We can unload the truck!! It wasn’t very long before we discovered every piece of our furniture was scratched! I tried to get R. to get blankets to cover the furniture. …

By the time we went to bed that night, not only did we have the truck and car unloaded, we had most of the kitchen unpacked and put away!

No comments:

Post a Comment