Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Expectations and Reality

Do you ever notice how reality is often VERY different than your expectations?

Before moving here SO many people told me how beautiful this area is and they love it here and that I’ll just LOVE it here because it’s so beautiful etc.

Then Other people told me that the Navy community is such a tight community and we’ll find friends for life again etc.

Well, We were in the area for 2 weeks before we saw a truly beautiful area. However, our first 2 days here we found the ghetto about 5 times. … Have I mentioned driving around here stinks? Though, it’s getting better. I can get around with out getting lost now!

Down town is cute, I’d probably appreciate the old school feel of the architecture more if I’d 1. not be driving, 2. if we’d take the day to go down and walk around to really take it in.

As far as people on base, our neighbors, they aren’t as friendly as I was expecting them to be. We NEVER really see anyone out and about.  (While we were unloading the truck the day we arrived the people across the street came over to say hi but the whole situation was a bit awkward.)

The neighbors who live adjacent to us loaded up and rolled out of town this morning. I must say, We’re not terribly upset about it.  I’m really hoping good FRIENDLY people move in. 

When the new neighbors roll in I think I’m going to make some muffins, or bread, or cookies (something) take it over, introduce myself, and ask if they would like help unloading the moving truck.

When R and I moved in we had NO food in the house for 2 or 3 days! What ever I decide to make, at least it will be a little something for them to munch on until they have the opportunity to get groceries.

I’ve never had such a hard time meeting people as I have here. The people at the church we’ve been visiting seem nice enough, but I don’t know if that will be our ‘church home.’

Maybe I’m not as outgoing as I once was. …. Maybe it’s that everyone else on the street ‘keeps to themselves’ so I do too. … What ever happened to knowing your neighbors and standing in the front yard talking to them for 30 minutes or 10?

Well, I should go. I have several things on my ‘to do’ list. let’s see what I can accomplish before 3pm!

No comments:

Post a Comment